Sunday, October 26, 2014

Shy Wolf Sactuary - Adventure Saturday # 7

Shy Wolf Sanctuary is exactly what it sounds like: it is a rescue primarily for  wolves and wolf dogs, but there are some other exotic animals there as well.  The best part about this wonderful place is that it's five minutes down the road from  where I live!  All this time I had no idea that just a stones throw away was a rather large community of wolves.  Pretty cool find I think. 

The founders of this amazing place, Nancy and Kent Smith, has been caring for and rescuing these exotic animals since 1993 (at their own expense).  They didn't get their name, however, until a local reporter got wind of them and made their story public.  They officially became 'Shy Wolf Sanctuary' in 2001.

I know I don't have to sell you on this place... I mean, what could be cooler than a habitat of wolves (that you can even cuddle with!!!) that's open for tour?  But I do want to mention this... Nancy, Kent, and the people who volunteer there very obviously love what they do and are passionate not only in caring for these magnificent animals, but in educating people about them as well.

They frequently do events in the community and visit schools and the most amazing thing is... they do it all for free. Here's the notice they have on their website about it:

"We decided long ago not to charge a fee for our educational programs and speaking engagements, wanting to make our animals and their lessons available and affordable to all. We survive on YOUR generosity through donations.   Please remember that your generosity helps us to continue providing the best possible care for the animals."  

Scheduled tours are available several days a week and are completely free, but donations are requested.  I very highly recommend planning an outing at Shy Wolf.  You'll only need a couple of hours and you will have the opportunity to interact (yes, PET and CUDDLE) with some of the wolves!  You must register ahead of time as the size of groups per tour is limited. 

I close with some more pictures I took whilst there and this quote I found on the website and I strongly agree:

“If you talk to the animals, they will talk to you
and you will know each other.
If you do not talk to them you will not know them,
and what you do not know you will fear.
What one fears – one destroys.”
 Chief Dan George 
 
One last thing and I'm done.... some of the animals are up for adoption.  There's a little bit of a process (info can be found on the website: http://www.shywolfsanctuary.com/index.html)  But, yes! If everything checks out you can adopt a wolf!  Pretty cool, I think!  Someday... someday... :-)

~M















No comments:

Post a Comment