Sunday, October 12, 2014

Myakka River State Park - Adventure Saturday # 4

Hi All...

I am WAY behind on my writing, but this is my attempt to start getting caught up.  As I said in my last post, the adventuring hasn't stopped. Mom and I and even some new friends have been exploring some new places and even revisited some old ones.  There are still plenty of adventures to be had  and we're doing our best to get to them all.

So picking up where I left off...

Myakka River State Park.

Up in Sarasota is the one of the most beautiful parks and camping grounds in all of south and southwest Florida, in my opinion.  While we only got to spend a few hours there this last time, in the past I have camped out there. And let me tell you, it is a like a 5 star hotel compared to other camp sites I've stayed at.  Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating a little, but it is pretty wonderful.  Unlike some other Florida campsites, Myakka has an amazing canopy soooo..... SHADE FROM THE SUN! Nothing is more wonderful on a hot Florida days.

There's a wonderful lake, canoe/kayak trails, and several walking trails within the park.  If you start out your day early enough there is plenty of wildlife to be seen including deer, wild bore, and maybe even... bear!  I swear I saw one once up there!

If you're into roughing it a little (or not, as their are some cabins and RV hooks up on site) and being one with nature, Myakka is by far one of my most favorite places to go.  Bring some fire wood and some fixings for some s'mores and I promise you'll have a wonderful time.

"Oh... one more thing... this park is the only place in Florida I've ever seen... FIREFLIES! Being from up north, fireflies are just one of those things every kid looks forward to about the summer time.  Since moving down to FL in  2001, I've really missed my little glowy friends and was beyond thrilled to discover them here.  There, near the board walk on the lake, in the tall grass in the water is where you'll find some fireflies.  In that moment when you see your first little hovering orb, you'll be transported back to your childhood of summer nights and mason jars... "







No comments:

Post a Comment