Monday, October 13, 2014

CREW - Bird Rookery Swamp Sactuary - Adventure Saturday # 5

Back in May mom and I visited CREW's (Corkscrew Regional Ecosystem Watershed) Bird Rookery and Swamp Trails in Naples.

We were a little unprepared. The trail is a long one, about 11 miles if I remember correctly.  It is a beautiful walk, however.  Most of it is canopied and you can walk, run, or bike the trail.  We got maybe 3 miles in before we turned around to head back.  Someday though, I 'd like to traverse the entire trail.

On our way through we saw several alligators, a few adult hawks and even an adolescent hawk (see pictures below) as well as a woodpecker.     There are also deer, bobcats, panthers, and bears in the area but we weren't lucky enough to see any. 

Although we met a few other explores on the trail, for the most part I felt like we had the entire place to ourselves.

There are some remnants of old logging tracks and some placards with some of the area's history.

Once or twice a month there are guided tours. Perhaps I'll participated in one of these my next time out there.

All in all it was a very pretty and serene place.   I look forward to visiting again.









No comments:

Post a Comment